What Is Automated File Transfer?
File transfer automation occurs when a system programmatically transfers files from a set of source endpoints to a set of target endpoints. Transfers can be within the enterprise network, outside its network or to/from an integration platform. Managed file transfer (MFT) solutions can automatically
- Process files.
- Guarantee file delivery.
- Alert administrators when issues arise.
Create and Change Automated Workflows
Thru’s publish-subscribe (pub/sub) design replaces multiple brittle point-to-point connections with workflow subscriptions, making it more flexible than traditional MFT solutions:
- Set many-to-many file transfers using one workflow and multiple endpoints
- Change endpoints or subscriptions at any time without disrupting automated file transfers
- Broadcast or route data based on business rules, endpoint and file metadata
Learn more about Thru’s publish-subscribe model »
Watch demo of how to set up automated file transfers » [5:00]
Use APIs to Automate File Transfers
Choose an MFT solution that fits your current requirements and aligns with your integration strategy. Connect with other systems by using Thru’s:
- Management API to configure and manage Thru entities as needed.
- Monitoring API to connect our alerts and activity streams to your IT operations management (ITOM) or security information and event management (SIEM) software such as Splunk, IBM, SolarWinds, Cisco, Microsoft or Dell.
Automate File Processing
Configure workflows without coding to extend file transfer automation to one or many target endpoints:
- Meet your use case with various workflow types, including one-to-many, many-to-one and to/from an integration platform (iPaaS).
- Add your own third-party software connector to workflows.
Read How to Automate File Transfers to Multiple Locations with a Single Workflow »
Watch demo of how to set up automated file transfers to multiple locations » [8:42]
Change file metadata and perform other types of file processing within workflows, including
- Trigger or semaphore files
- File name filters
- File routing
- File masking / endpoint filtering
- Encryption and decryption
- Compression and decompression
- File renaming
Thru supports binary transfers with the following protocols:
- Universal naming convention (UNC)
- Network file system (NFS) – with our MFT agent
- Server message block (SMB) – with our MFT agent
- Storage area network (SAN)
Guaranteed File Delivery Reduces Business Disruption
Thru has no limits on file size and it does not split large files. Instead, file delivery is guaranteed with
- Persistent storage: Thru is built on a cloud file system that stores files until delivery.
- File transfer resume: After network disruption, file transfers will resume for major transfer protocols.
- Durable workflows: The logic of workflows is durable during file transfer retries. The system always knows where and when the files should be delivered after transfer interruptions are fixed.
Continue reading about how Thru’s file transfer automation was designed to guarantee file delivery »
Automated File Transfer Solutions
Use the Thru Node, our MFT agent, to transfer files within your corporate network. The node supports general automation features including file compression, PGP encryption, renaming and routing to certain folders.
Learn more about Remote Agents for MFT »
Automatically transfer files with partners easily and securely. Thru’s publish-subscribe model simplifies configuration and replaces brittle point-to-point connections.
Learn more about Partner File Exchange in the Cloud »
Think strategically and modernize your data integration by adopting the cloud as part of your strategy. Our cloud-based MFT solution replaces legacy file transfer technologies and offers the benefits of true cloud economics.
Learn more about Replacing Legacy File Transfer with Cloud MFT »
Offload file transfer management complexity from iPaaS to Thru. Our connectors add guaranteed delivery, persistence and unlimited file size to iPaaS.
Learn more about File Transfers with an Integration Platform (iPaaS) »
Automated File Transfer FAQs
What is the purpose of automated file transfer?
MFT solutions automate file transfers and provide a single interface for IT teams to configure and manage file transfers. MFT increases efficiency, reduces error and increases visibility. See more details about the benefits of file transfer automation »
Who uses automated file transfer?
A variety of industries use automated file transfer solutions, but they are especially helpful in the retail industry. Our customer Crocs creates new file transfer connections up to 8x faster by using Thru. See how they improved IT productivity with our automated file transfer solution »
Can SFTP be automated?
Yes, SFTP file transfers can be automated with an MFT solution. Learn the benefits and how to automate SFTP file transfers in Thru »
Can file transfers be set up on a schedule?
Yes, scheduling file transfers is a capability of most modern MFT solutions. Learn more about scheduled file transfers using MFT »
What is batch file transfer automation?
Batch files are scripts that are used to automate routine tasks and once had a place in automating file transfers. Read more about their inadequacies for MFT and why to replace »
What are the disadvantages of using scripts to automate file transfers?
The disadvantages of using scripts to automate file transfers include reduced IT productivity, a lack of visibility and no outside support. By choosing an MFT solution, IT teams can eliminate these disadvantages and improve business agility. Learn how to overcome the five disadvantages of using scripts to automate file transfers »
What is robotic process automation (RPA) and how does it fit with MFT?
RPA is a technology that uses software robots to perform rules-based, structured and repetitive tasks. RPA and MFT are both types of business process automation (BPA). They both increase efficiency and reduce errors. Learn more about RPA and how it relates to MFT »